Through generous funding from The Gateway Fund at The Denver Foundation, RMIAN has an opening for a one-year Immigrant Justice Legal Fellow in RMIAN’s Detention Program starting July 2018.
Despite the overwhelming complexity of the law and the often life-and-death consequences of the courts’ decisions, individuals in immigration removal proceedings have no right to court-appointed counsel. As a result, studies show that over 84% of immigrants in civil immigration detention are unrepresented by an attorney, creating unjust disparities in court outcomes based on clients’ income levels. A 2012 study, headed by a federal judge, showed that immigrants in detention are six times more likely to win their removal proceedings if they are represented.
These disparities, and the resulting unequal access to justice, are certain to be compounded in this time of increased immigration enforcement and detention. Through this initiative, the Immigrant Justice Legal Fellow will represent immigrants in civil immigration detention in Colorado, thereby ensuring due process and equal access to justice for those ensnared in increased immigration enforcement efforts. The Fellow will have a full caseload of clients before the Aurora Immigration Court, representing clients in bond hearings, full merits cases, parole requests, representing asylum-seekers in credible fear proceedings, as well as possible appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals.
- Admission to any state bar
- Minimum two years of experience in immigration law, preferably in removal defense and with detained populations
- Spanish fluency - both written & oral, and demonstrated cultural competency
- Strong sense of personal initiative, commitment to and understand of working with clients in detention, ability to multi-task, and interest in creative lawyering
- Passion for RMIAN's mission, and demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Excellent oral & written communication skills, as well as legal research and writing skills
- Salary DOE; includes generous benefits package
To apply, please send a detailed cover letter, resume, writing sample, and list of three references to email@example.com
RMIAN is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes the importance of diversity in the workplace; individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.