RMIAN is currently hiring for a Director of Development
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, execution, management, and evaluation of fundraising efforts at RMIAN including: annual giving, major gifts, development and stewardship of donors, corporate partnerships, and external communication. Additionally, the Director of Development will oversee grant writing and reporting, and collaborate on fundraising events. Ultimately, this person is instrumental in the shaping of, and the execution of, the long-range fundraising plan for the organization.
This position works closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and the Program Coordinator. The Director of Development serves as a member of the RMIAN leadership team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- With the Executive Director and External Committee, sets annual goals.
- Manages a personal major donor portfolio and assists Board members in making "the ask" of their peers.
- Researches major gift prospects and participates directly in all major gift asks.
- Creases an annual fundraising plan and timeline.
- Manages all pledges.
- Creates direct mail appeals and manages mailing process.
- Builds relationships and stewards donors.
- Assists RMIAN Board, Executive Director, and Program Coordinator with the launch of the Liberty Circle.
- Together with Program Coordinator, plans and executes the annual fundraising event, the Immigrant Liberty Awards.
- Plans and executes the annual Liberty Circle and related events, with the RMIAN Board, Executive Director, and Program Coordinator.
- Researches government, foundation, and other grant opportunities.
- With Program Coordinator, works to craft proposals; communicates with program staff to ensure accuracy in program descriptions, goals, and results.
- Schedules and leads site visits with foundation officers.
- Oversees and coordinates grant timelines and reporting.
- Manages calendar of key development activities.
Community Relations and External Communications
- With Program Coordinator, oversees all donor communications, including thank-you letters, newsletters, an annual report, and print and social media presence.
- Supports media relations work and helps lead external communications.
- Leads marketing efforts for RMIAN, including overseeing creation of print materials and digital media to tell RMIAN's story.
- Makes relevant connections with community groups and potential partners.
- Creates new and meaningful ways to connect community with opportunities to give.
- Prepares financial reports and updates for the Executive Director and Board of Directors monthly or as needed.
- Updates and implements new donor database. Maintains donor and foundation records and ensures the accuracy and efficacy of the donor database.
- Rigorously evaluates all efforts and and progress to goals.
- Works as part of a team to achieve the RMIAN mission.
- Participates as a key member of the RMIAN leadership team by: providing strategic direction and input; managing organizational change; helping to focus organizational resources; setting a positive example for staff.
- Contributes to "All Staff" events.
- Attends RMIAN staff meetings, as well as RMIAN Board meetings.
- Regularly reports progress, challenges,, and opportunities to Executive Director.
- Addresses email requests and phone messages in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of regional and national funders and other non-profit organizations.
- Strong leadership skills, self-confidence and ability to successfully cultivate prospects at executive level.
- Successful applicant will possess an entrepreneurial, results-driven style and ability to identify and implement creative approaches to development.
- Must have the ability to work in a collaborative environment with program staff and board members.
- Experience working with donor databases preferred.
- Ability to communicate the RMIAN mission and programs effectively and match them to donor interests.
- A proven ability to perform under tight deadlines and meet strict financial goals.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex problems and rapid changes.
- Engaging and dynamic individual with strong commitment to immigrant justice and immigration legal services.
Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree. Three to five years of direct development experience preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of, and experience in, the region’s philanthropic communities is required.
- Experience with donor information systems, records, research, and prospect management and tracking functions, gift processing and acknowledgements and donor relations.
- A proven record of annual giving, special events, corporate, foundation, and government grant support programs.
- Experience working with senior level executives and volunteer leaders in a professional environment.
- Management experience preferred.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Position is full-time, but RMIAN is open to exploring part-time opportunities for the right candidate.
To apply, please send a detailed cover letter, resume, writing sample, and list of three references to email@example.com.
RMIAN is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes the importance of diversity in the workplace; individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.